virginity... sacred or overrated?

I came across the topic whilst reading a book about university students today and their lifestyle. The book took one of Indonesian big city as its' background. It elaborates the true-blue of Indonesian youth. It came to a shock that as taboo as the elderly used to say, youths today are pretty much posses the law of 'free sex' in their everyday lives. They said Indonesia has the most Muslim population, but I suppose, religion is out of date. It don't matter to me about the adoption of 'free sex' in our lifestyle. Hey, I'm no hypocrite who says that it's sinner's path or whatever. I've lived long enough to notice that people DO have sex. However, what concerns me is the whole concept of religion and sex brought together in one nation under God, Indonesia. They just don't match.

If everyone just be open-minded and acknowledge the truth out there that people DO have sex: your brothers, sisters, your kids, friends, relatives, your PARENTS! (eww) See, why make it such huge taboo when in reality most people have experienced it at least once. I wonder when people got married (the singletons, not divorcees or widows/ers), they still expecting their au pair is a virgin? Well, of course they still expect that, but are they really a virgin? If one-night-stand is a common lifestyle, then why do people still highly praise their virginity?

1 in 3 women thesedays I presume has already had sex. Hence they've lost their virginity to some guy who probly will not be their man-to-be. Yet they casually accepted that, they do live such lifestyle. So why people still bother preaching religion into other people's personal anecdote. Dads, Mums, Ustadz, I guess your preaches are taken aside, came in one ear out the other. I just wonder, why bother? As far as I know, the more forbidden 'laws' are force-fed to kids thesedays, the more rebellious they would become. They really do embrace "papa don't preach" literally. I guess to some people, Islam in Indonesia is just another label for their religious status. It is nothing but a name on their identity card. I shouldn't also judge while I know I'm no better than them. I still have lots to learn about the faith I behold upon 'til the day I die. (not sure whether the word behold upon really suits well in that sentence.. hehe)

It's just that...
I hate hypocrites.
.... And there are one-to-many to count in our beloved country Indonesia.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
A Blank Canvas, Ready to be painted. Contemplation at its best. A personal Journey...

goBlog