Smoking KILLS!

Been thinking to post about cigarette packets for a while now. Well, since i've been bombarded by "smoking kills" commercials on TV. First, they irritate you quite a lot cos of the images shown. Who wudnt? Not to mention, for few months now I have to sell ciggies at the supermarket. I HATE THEM! serzly!

I hate the smokes. I hate the smell. Now I hate the packets!

well, all in all. I hate ciggies.

Luckily here ppl arent allowed to smoke wherever they please. Hence, less smokes for me to inhale. I hear smokes wont be allowed in bars/pubs/clubs anymore. Haha! Ppl wont be pleased wud they? =D

Anyway, it's about the packets now.
Apparently, the new tobacco graphic images has made a substantial changes to people's behavior towards smoking. Goodo!

Here's what the media has to say >

Big pictures 'likely to curb smoking'

February 06, 2007 10:37pm

Article from: AAP

LARGE and comprehensive warnings on cigarette packets including graphic images were the most likely way to entice smokers to quit the habit, an international study has found.

The study appears to confirm that graphic health warnings on cigarette packets introduced to Australia in March last year were the most effective way to encourage smokers to quit.

Researchers, including Professor Ron Borland of The Cancer Council Victoria, contributed to the multi-national study, published in the latest issue of the American Journal of Preventative Medicine.

The authors analysed data from four waves of surveys of adult smokers in Australia, Canada, the United States and Britain between 2002 and 2005.

Almost 15,000 smokers were surveyed on their awareness of cigarette packet health warnings, any changes to their understanding of the dangers of smoking, their motivation to quit and any behavioural changes they had noticed.

The data was collected before Australia's new cigarette packet health warnings were introduced last year.

more



One thing for sure, I've noticed myself that the images has quite a bit of impact on those smokers. When I was working and have to sell a ciggie to one customer.. Like usual, I just picked up the packet in front shelf ryte? Din really notice what the pict on the packet. After I gave the customer his change, he suddenly asked me to change the packet with the other one in the shelf. Quite bizarre request, first I thought. But then he said that he wants the other packet cos of the image aint so "tragic". None else to comment, I smiled. But my head starts having this sarcastic thought thinking Pff. Why smoke then? like changing packets can avoid the reality later on, eh?

But thats how I know that these new packets design has impact on smokers.
I wonder when Indonesia will apply the same design to their ciggie packets? Considering tobacco industry is one of the biggest business empires in the country. Prolly it might kill the entertainment business quite a bit too wont it? :P

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
A Blank Canvas, Ready to be painted. Contemplation at its best. A personal Journey...

goBlog